Saturday, September 15, 2007

9/4 Shandong University/ Jinan


We had a busy day. There is so much to see in and around Jinan that we made several stops and endured a day of long bus rides. First we went to Confucius' homestead. It was really amazing to learn about the design of the space. Everything was layed out to relay something about their belief system and culture. There were many gates and doorways used to relay a concept or promote some sort of positive fortune.
Next we went to Confucius's' burial site. There are thousands of descendants buried there too. I was so intrigued as I explored the grounds to see raised hills as the spot of burial. There was always a large stone explaining who was buried and their accomplishments followed by a grassy mound where the remains were placed. It was beautiful and serene. I like that the Chinese give so much respect to a man like Confucius. I mean he held no political rank and lived so long ago, but he was a great thinker who highly influenced their culture.
We finished the day on Mt Tai Shan. It is one of the five sacred Taoist peaks and also the most climbed mountain in the world. I loved finishing the day on top of the mountain, looking over the city. I would have liked to spend more time there and even climb it for myself (we took the cable car).

No comments: