Friday, September 14, 2007

8/31 Shanghai


Something I will definitely remember about China is the way people drive. There is absolutely no order or courtesy involved. Everyone just does what they please, no matter if there are pedestrians involved or thick traffic. The simple designation between sidewalk and street seems to be irrelevant to these people.
Every time I get into a taxi or bus I have to look down to avoid screaming and grabbing the drivers wheel. It sounds a dramatic, I know, but let me assure you the experience is breathtaking. There have been several occasions where I have screamed out of genuine fear during a standard commute. Each time I shriek, the driver laughs because he is so used to the city's irregular flow. Cars cut across five lanes of traffic with no warning to make an exit. People casually walk in front of buses driving full force. There is rarely a pause for walk signals or even a red light. It seems the laws here are more like suggestions. Although everything is tight and in seeming disarray there seems to be a flow that transports the masses to their place of urgency.

No comments: